How Did I Do Beans Wrong?!?

Today my daughter asked for beans on toast for breakfast...

I nervously set the temperature to 4 on the hob and watched intensely as they started to simmer. Unfortunately, despite my absolute dedication some still split in half...

I placed the plate with the equally portioned, Crust-free, fairly buttered toast squares and organic, not too hot beans (all placed on the requested Paw Patrol plate) on the place mat, which I laid flush to the table as preferred by my little darling. My palms were clammy and I felt my right eye twitch.

The straps fastened and chair pushed sufficiently in... There it was the face I had naively thought I could avoid... the absolute, pure disgust! I knew I hadn’t tried hard enough to keep those beans intact! Maybe I should try a new brand? Maybe drop the heat to 2 or 3? It’s all too little too late now as the meltdown has ensued...

“My beans are broken!” She yells. “I don’t want them ones”, she whimpers as she points the halves of beans intermingled with a few that made it entirely intact. 

The next 20 minutes is spent stabbing one-by-one those perfect beans, passing them through the rigorous inspection, which eliminates any that don’t make the grade with imperfections such as: slight variation in colour, non-uniform shape and any showing signs of weakness that might just give way whilst on entry. 

Then she turned to me and asked for the cold water from the fridge... Did I put the new bottle in there last night???? I feel my ears getting hot... round 2...

My Day Has Begun... Mom Life!

Comments

Popular Posts